Sunday, November 27, 2011

Ad Serving and Google



I knew that there was a connection to the advertising I was seeing on Websites, but I never understood how it works prior to this class. As mentioned in the textbook  "Internet Marketing" ad serving allows websites to generate revenue by allowing businesses to advertise on their sites while working through a middleman. Google explains it all very well in this video.

  

The video explains it  that the process of Ad Serving is very complex and expensive.  Because of this using third party ad serving companies benefits the consumer, business, and website.

What is scary is how good Google is at matching advertising to specific users. I know that it is suppose to be anonymous and that they don't have any identifying information and just my history but it is scary when I google for a product, let's say some North Face Jackets, and then all of the advertising I see on various web pages for the next few weeks feature ad's about North Face.  While I appreciate what Google (and other companies) are trying to do, I think that sometimes they go overboard and that the money could be better spent advertising related products and not just the searched for products.  This is because I may have already purchased my jacket, but perhaps I need a hat or gloves to go with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment