Monday, December 12, 2011

The Cola Wars are back!

Using the site www.websitegrader.com I rated  www.stcloudtimes.com.  This is a website that I click on daily to get my news and information about the community.

It rated at a 97 which means that it scores higher than 97% of the websites currently out there.

A.      It found that the site had a blog.
B.      It gave that blog a score of 52
C.      No recent  blog articles were found
D.      There were 77,500 indexed pages
E.       The readability level was at Secondary/High School
F.       There were 59 heading summaries
G.      There were 68 images found (too many)
H.      The domain is set to expire in 5 months
I.        The MOZ rank was 5.3
J.        There were 2831 linking domains
K.      There is a mobile version of the website
L.       The homepage has been tweeted 153 times
M.     The Tweet grade is 91
N.      There was no Facebook link
O.      It had a traffic rank in the top .27%

I wouldn’t recommend much based on these rankings.  I guess if anything I would suggest a Facebook presence.

I then put into the grader www.coca-cola.com and www.pepsi.com. This comparison had some interesting results but ultimately Coca-Cola came out on top with a score of 92 versus Pepsi’s 89.  Most interesting was that Pepsi did not have mobile viewing optimized.  As their advertising has traditionally skewed younger I was surprised that their website was not optimized for mobile viewing.


I would recommend Pepsi immediately launch a mobile website and have it connected to social media like twitter and facebook.  For Coca-Cola I would dumb down their site some.  They are currently at an advanced/Doctoral Degree level whereas Pepsi is at a Primary/ Elementary Level.  This tells me that Coca-Cola has an opportunity to reach out to segment of the market that might not understand their website.

1 comment:

  1. Great point about Pepsi taking advantage of the new age generation that they advertise to. Not having mobile devices and linked to Twitter and Facebook is leaving huge opportunity on the table to connect more with their audience.

    ReplyDelete